This is a blog about Pam, Brian, and Lilly. From time to time we will add videos and pictures that show the things that we do and things that we like.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

Assembling the Behemoth


So the first step in assembling a gingerbread house it make sure you have all the pieces handy for each section. I put my gingerbread together with melted sugar. It is very hot and if you get it on yourself, you can’t get it off fast enough (think extreme glue gun.). Anyway, it cools fairly fast on the gingerbread and creates a very strong bond. I find though it is a little dangerous to work with (and trying at times) it is much faster going in than the icing method which takes a while to let the bonds set.

So in a matter of about an hour and a half I got the entire thing joined together. I said entire, I mean all except one side of a roof, which I somehow overlooked to make! Than goodness I saved some gingerbread dough for breakage. I used it to swiftly turn out the missing piece and make Lilly a small gingerbread house of her own to decorate because there is no way she will be touching mine.

As usually, my gingerbread house is lit (as was I in the making of it…shout out to Amy Poehler) by miniature Christmas lights. Only I forgot to get them inside until after I had the thing assemble. With a little physics fun (and Brian’s help) we got them maneuvered underneath the walls and inside the shops. What made it more difficult to get them inside right is that the shops have dividing walls in between them. But that’s what hemostats are for, right Dad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home